Rep. Erin Murphy. Representing St. Paul District 64A

Latest Writings

And So it Begins...

Mighty Citizens,

The 2011 legislative session began on Tuesday with my colleagues and me taking the oath of office. Raising my right hand and getting sworn in to return as your state representative was both humbling and inspiring. I am eager to get to work on the important challenges facing our community and state.

I am firmly committed to solutions that will create jobs, grow our economy for the future, and reaching a fairly balanced budget. That means protecting middle class families from steep property tax increases, college tuition hikes and damaging cuts to our schools. In the days leading up to the session new Republican leaders signaled they will put forward a budget that protects education, Minnesotans with disabilities, seniors, and public safety. I look forward to seeing the specifics of this plan and putting it through close examination so that Minnesotans know the true impact for their families and future.

I would love to see you this session, so please visit at my new office at 345 State Office Building. For those following the House committees you can also visit the three committees I will be serving on this session: Health and Human Services Finance, Health and Human Services Reform, and Rules and Legislative Administration.

Changes will mark the beginning of the legislative session. We have our first DFL Governor in about twenty years in Mark Dayton and have new Republican majorities in the Minnesota House and Senate. However, it will be how we respond to these changes that will mark the conclusion of the legislative session and ultimately the direction of our state.

It’s time to get to work.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve.